Albeit a hot, humid weather, my family and I were craving for chicken sopas. The epicure in me took this craving as a challenge and opportunity to cook creamy macaroni chicken soup or sopas for the very first time. o______o
I can imagine I’m as good as Rachel Ray, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m still a very amateur cook. 😐 Thus I borrowed a chicken sopas recipe I found in Pinoy Recipe. (Chicken sopas is a Filipino comfort food)
- 500 g chicken breast
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 white onions (minced) I used red onions; it still tastes good!
- 1 large bell pepper (seeded and sliced into strips)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 carrots (sliced into thin strips)
- 350 g macaroni noodles
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 medium cabbage (roughly shredded)
- 2 Tbsp margarine
- fish sauce / patis
- rock salt
- chopped spring onions (didn’t use this!)
- Boil the chicken in 4 cups water. Save the broth to be used later.
- Shred the Chicken meat with your fingers. Set aside.
- Saute garlic and onion in oil over medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper and cook until aromatic.
- Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Season lightly with ground black pepper.
- Add the carrots, a quick sauté then the macaroni. Give it a stir to get the fat all around the pasta.
- Pour in the chicken broth and 5 cups water. Simmer.
- Pour in the milk, stirring gently.
- Add the cabbage. From this point, the macaroni and the cabbage will cook at about the same time.
- Add the margarine.
- Season with patis or salt.